How to acquire a Certificate of Occupancy in Lagos – Step by Step Procedure
The procedure for obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) in Lagos, Nigeria shown in this article is the official process as described by the Lagos State Government in 15 steps.
- The Applicant should purchase and submit the application pack to the Land Use Allocation Commission (LUAC) and collect an acknowledgement slip.
- Day Applicants collect letter of offer of allocation
- The Applicant should pay for the allocated land within 90 days.
- A letter of confirmation is issued to the Applicant with a plot and block number.
- The Scheme Officer processes the application for the C of O, signs off on the file and forwards the files to ES LUAC - 5 Days
- The Surveyor General provides Scheme Officer with digitized survey - 2 Days
- ES LUAC approves processing and signs letter of allocation. ES LUAC signs off on the file and sends the file to the Senior Special Assistant to His Excellency, Lands (SSA Lands) - 2 Days
- The SSA, Lands vets the entire file and sends it with a covering memo to the Permanent Secretary Lands Bureau (PS Lands) - 2 Days
- Should the file have a query, the message is relayed back by notification
- The PS, Lands signs off on the memo and sends the file to His Excellency - 2 Days
- His Excellency approves file and electronically signs the C of O - 2 Days
- Should the file has a query, message is relayed back by notification
- Upon approval and signing of the C of O by His Excellency, He signs off and sends it to the Deputy Registrar for further processing - 2 Days
- The Deputy Registrar processes the file further, signs off and sends it to Registrar of Titles for final registration - 2 Days
- The Registrar of Titles registers the C of O, signs off and request for printing of C of O - 1 Day
This process adds up to a total of 21 days.
- Formal Letter addressed to the Executive Secretary – Land Use and Allocation Committee, Block 13, Room 4, Lands Bureau, The Secretariat, Alausa, Ikeja.
- Standard Allocation Form with Receipt. Lekki Pennisula Schemes, Abijo Commercial and Industrial (Form for Prime Land); other areas (Form for General).
- Four Passport Photographs with white background.
- Evidence of payment of Income Tax.
- Current Development Levy (In case of company, Evidence of payment of Income Tax of Two Directors and Development Levy).
- Survey Plan
- All payment receipts of Land Charges
- Vital Information Form
Source: Lagos State Government (LASG)